Tuesday 21 April 2009

A typical day in London town

On Sunday night Amanda, Fi, Billy (my new neighbour) and I went out to Shepherds Bush to watch Bat For Lashes. A band fronted by Natasha Khan and whichever musicians she invites to go on tour with her (at least that's how I think it works..). I had brought a Brioche along from work because I know how much Fi and Amanda love them some Brioche... But unfortunately on the way in the crazy security lady made me throw it out!! I was so upset and my belly was pretty devastated too!

                                         *Bat for Lashes - WOOT WOOT!!*
The support act was an American group called 'School of Seven Bells' and they were really awesome! You tube them and have a look for yourself!!  Bat For Lashes is a bit of a Bjork/Eurythmics tribute, really great electronic sound filled out with a cute but powerful voice. She was really great on stage, really into it and good fun to watch! The O2 academy is a  great venue, old school play house so no seat is a bad seat and the sound reverberates really well. It was also my first concert in a while, really really nice to get out a spazz out to some music. Thanks Randy!!

                                         *Andy and I looking Hot!!Hahaha*

So it turned out the Bat for Lashes concert was just the beginning of what was going to be a very 'cultural' 24 hours for yours truly. The incredible thing about living in this city is that there are so many things to do. Museums with hoards of children, museums with hoards of artists, quirky cafes, gastro pubs, schmanzy restaurants, luscious parks, celebrity haunts, markets, walks along the rivers, live music, shopping shopping shopping, live comedy, musicals and much much more. Monday being my day off it was time to catch up with a few people. First up was Nick, my cracker friend that lives with Fi and is also from the land down under. He works on 'West Ends number one musical' - WICKED so is a bit of a theatre aficionado, so we decided to check out the Theatre and Performance exhibition at the V&A museum. It was my first time to the museum and I must say it took me completely by surprise. Its really well set up, informative, visually stimulating but fun at the same time. We also had a bit of time to check out the jewellery and fashion sectors.. Such a girls day out!
One hour, two glasses of champagne, a plate of cheese and two tube changes later we were in Camden town on a mission to A) Find Cath B) Buy wellies (gumboots) C) Buy sunnies. 
I think its official. I am the world most notorious sunnies offender. I recently calculated that if i were to count on my fingers the number of sunnies I have lost/broken over the years I would need another 2.3 hands!! Whoopsy doosy
The weather here in London has just been incredible these last few weeks. Sunny, up to 21 degrees, and not too much wind. Apparently its the warmest April London has seen for years, which is exciting for me!! However we had a few days of yucky wetness last weeks and I got sick of my pants getting soaked so I decided I need to buy some funky town gumboots!! Turns out Camden Markets was the perfect venue to provide me with all my gumboot needs. So we met up with Cath (my awesome Canadian-photo taking-rocomadour loving friend) and set off..
We had a great afternoon faffing around looking in all the kooky shops, imagining what sort of tattoo we would get and people watching. All the different markets are so great, antique, vintage, punk, rock, alternative, record shops.. Pretty much anything you could want!!
                                                                   
                                              (photo courtesy of Catherine Tyrrell)

We walked through the mini food market where people are trying to shove food down your throats (Cath was happy to indulge them!). Nick and I got a felafel each.. We probably should have shared!! soooo full :( 

So after our little traipse through Camden town we decided the one thing we hadn't done so far was see a show. So courtesy of my dear boy Nick-o-lass we went of to enjoy a night of frivolity at 'La Cage aux folles'. The West End musical version of 'Bird Cage' the film with Robin Williams. 
Beforehand we went to have a little drinkey poo on a boat on the Thames that offers views of the Big Ben and the London Eye. Its really nice hey, a good place to take people that are new to London too!

'La Cage aux folles' is an incredible story about a gay/transvestite club on the coast of France. If you've not seen it I recommend it, and if you have seen it, imagine how awesome the musical version would be!! Trannys, dancing, load music, hilarious french accents, skanky outfits, a crazy Spanish man maid and an over the top drama queen. 

So all in all it was a great day, very cultural, very cruisy, with good friends and great weather. Perfect

1 comment: