Friday 8 May 2009

Detox Schmeetox

Its that time again...
Its been a while and my only (and pretty good excuse) is that I have been all consumed by this detox I am on.
Detox? I hear you asking, Detox? WHY why WHy would someone do that willingly?
Well, I must admit, it has been challenging (especially in my line of work), I have had my moments where I could literally kill for a slice of Comte or smoked duck.. But I have hung in there and am feeling fantastic :)
But let me take you back, back to the beginning, back to basics, how it all began.
Fi had been told, by one of our friends, about a great detox we should try. To be honest, when Fi suggested it to me I wasn't too keen at first, mainly because the whole diet concept can be a bit crazy and thought of doing a detox where I work just seems crazy! But it is actually more than a diet or a detox, its all about eating and thinking healthier. Doing things to help your body like dry-skin brushing, regular massages, exercise and exfoliating. 
So I went and got the book and was actually really intrigued by it. Bring it on I say!
In the week leading up to D-day (get it D for detox.. haha) I kept thinking about all the foods I was about to give up for a month. Cheese for starters! The alcohol was not going to be a problem because I have barely drunk in over a month anyway. Chocolate is obviously something us girls were a bit upset about losing.. Coffee is the one thing I was stressing out not getting, so I started to cut back in the weeks leading up, to make the headaches a bit easier!!

We had all decided to start together on the Monday after Amandas birthday, so that we could have one last blow out (As you do when your about to Detox, ruin your body even more!). It turns out we have all started at different times any way!
In the days leading up to the detox all I could think about was Yum Cha (or Dim Sum as it is called in London) so my Rocamadour loving Canadian friend Cath and I went for a tasty treat. We found a really great place in China Town, that I will definitely be frequenting once this detox is over!!  After wards we faffed around and I went to meet up with some friends from home and had my last COFFEE for 30 days :(  Had to go to Flet Whyte, in Soho, coz its the best in London! Withdrawals Withdrawals Withdrawals!!

D-Day had arrived and I was up and ready to go! I over did it a little with the cold shower, a bit too keen and gave myself an allergic reaction! I realised we can have porridge for breakfast which is a relief.. Something a bit substantial for breaky certainly helps to keep me going!
I had the day off which was good, got to concentrate on following the program and getting my house food ready. Which included putting all sugar, flour, biscuits, coffee, and pretty much everything that is processed into bags and hiding them in my cupboard!

Day two was not so easy, considering I had to work. To be honest its was FARKING hard. Everyone kept trying to tempt me and no-one thought I would stick to it! It was actually really annoying because everyone kept trying to talk me out of it which was the last thing I needed. I was out to prove them all wrong!
One thing about the detox is that its supposed to 'give you back two hours a day'. But its actually really time consuming! Between the exercise, relaxing, massage, breathing and cooking and preparing all the food... Its pretty much taking up an extra 2 hours a day! Oh well it will all be worth it in the end right!

The first week was a bit tricky at times, especially at work, but not nearly as hard as I imagined it! I have started a cravings list that will be worked through with my dear friend Yorko when he comes for a week in June. It is helping me stay sane! 

Week two started off really bad because my back was really sore and I had horrible neck pains and could barely move! Made me feel really whoosy and obviously couldn't do exercise which sucked! I also got a bit fluey and managed to convince myself that I had the SWINE FLU! Ahah, luckily I have a housemate who is a nurse and she convinced me that I will be just fine! 
After a few days rest I was good to go again! All the rituals have become like second nature now, and the cooking is becoming easier and more inventive. I have started going for walks/jogs in Hyde Park before work which has been really nice. Gets me in a good mind set for work too which is well needed :)
We've actually been very quiet at work which is making the detox a little more challenging. Because there isn't much to do except eat! Although I am proud, my boss has been inspired and is riding to work every day and eating healthier :) Finally convinced them all!

I'm into week three now and I have my rhythm well down pat. There is a great cemetery behind our place that I go running at everyday, and I have taken to turning up the music really loud in my room and dancing around like a crazy person for half an hour. You know, the one at the club who is in the middle flapping her arms around like a banshee making you want to cringe? Yep, that's my room dance style baby! 
I think my bladder is finally adjusted to the amount of water I have been drinking which is nice! Don't need to pee every bloody fifteen minutes anymore!

So that's pretty much it for now! I'm feeling great, loads more energy, I wake up early and feel alert and ready to go without the need for an alarm, or a snooze button. My skin is alot clearer and I'm sleeping very heavily (rather than waking up all the time) and even feel a bit more positive!

I'll keep you all posted.. I'm sure there will be a chocolate or coffee craving soon that might need to be vented!!

No comments:

Post a Comment