Tuesday 1 February 2011

the other side of Slovakia...

Last stop on our EPIC Christmas and New Year extravaganza was Bratislava, Slovakia. To be very honest the only reason we went there was because it was the cheapest and easiest place to get home from for both Amy and I but I am so glad we actually did!

Our hostel, A1 Hostel, was cute. Only two rooms, 8 bed dorm and a double room and that’s about it! A really new place and the manager was clearly soooo tired as he had been working so hard, poor thing!

The town is pretty quiet in winter and therefore and bit dodgy and creepy at night time but I imagine its actually quite safe normally. It was cute to see the town still speckled in snow!

The hostel manager recommended that we go to a local restaurant that was Amazing! I Slovak pub – best Slovak feed in town. We tried the local beer which was pretty tasty, and we really liked the funny menu – some of the translations were a bit dodgy!

I think Bratislava is quite a popular weekend destination with the Brits, there are so many pubs and bars and a fantastic assortment of coffee shops for such a small city. My kind of place.

I quite liked the sculptures. Throughout the town there are three men placed in different spots ‘minding their own business’.

The Photographer

The Watcher

The Frenchman

Other than these three men and the Castle there is not a lot else to see in Bratislava. But the castle does have an amazing view of the whole city, oh and the great windmill farms too!!

Once we said our goodbyes it was time for Amy and I to get back to our realities – Amy back to work in London and me back to Mulhouse to repack and head up to Luxembourg where I would be working for a bit.

I was looking forward to getting back but I was not at all prepared for the ridiculous bus trip home. First of all there was an absolute shit fight with the buses and they had booked too many people and there were not enough seats. Then the dude sitting in front of me had a crazy afro that meant I couldn’t see the TV and every time I thought I had a spot where I could see her would move his head. Annoying! They played Avatar on the TV and it was so loud even with the IPod on I couldn’t drown out the noise. Then to top it all off on the last leg of the trip there was a group of horrendous children sitting in the three seats in front of me, screaming and kicking and yelling and farting, all while their mum had a little nap. Stupid cow

Needless to say it was great to get back to the comfort of Mulhouse! Very memorable trip!!

No comments:

Post a Comment